Topics

Quisk/ OmniaSDR on RPi2

Ron / W4MMP

Hi,

Sorry it is probably in this thread somewhere, but what version of Linux are you running?  It appears that libusb is missing.  If you are running Raspbian/Jessie do this:
sudo apt-get install libusb-0.1-4
73
Ron / W4MMP
On 3/23/2016 11:57, jimreagans@... [omniasdr] wrote:

Thanks for getting back to me..
  I tried your method and got the same result & screen...
  I'm wondering it I should try editing your config file?  Do you know what the file "backend.libusb1", is?

Cheers,
JR (W0CHL)

jimreagans@...

I'm running the latest Jessie...

I just tried installing (as you stated) but it said libusb-0.1.4 was already the newest version...
Any more thoughts?
I'm just trying to get SSB/CW functioning..

Is a .ZIP file of your uSD card (your your working OmniaSDR)  too big for Yahoo's file system? Then I could go thru and see what I'm lacking.

Cheers,
JR W0CHL

Ron / W4MMP

Try installing libusb-dev (sudo apt-get install libusb-dev).  If does not help, then I really don't know.  Perhaps post the question on the quisk group (n2adr-sdr).

I will look into what is needed to zip up the SD card.
73
Ron / W4MMP
On 3/23/2016 12:30, jimreagans@... [omniasdr] wrote:

I'm running the latest Jessie...

I just tried installing (as you stated) but it said libusb-0.1.4 was already the newest version...
Any more thoughts?
I'm just trying to get SSB/CW functioning..

Is a .ZIP file of your uSD card (your your working OmniaSDR)  too big for Yahoo's file system? Then I could go thru and see what I'm lacking.

Cheers,
JR W0CHL

Jim Bennett

JR,

My suggestion at this point is for you to go back and make sure you installed each of the packages documented at the Quisk web site, which I think you’ll find is the same list as mine. Ron W4MMP probably has a better handle on this stuff than I do, so for now I’ll step aside and let you two exchange ideas.

Also, wondering if you use a Mac? And if so, do you have the application called ApplePi-Baker? I use it to make backup copies of my RPi SD card on the Mac. Loosing everything due to a bad SD card would be really ugly if one has no backup available.

Jim / W6JHB

On   Wednesday, Mar 23, 2016, at  Wednesday, 9:30 AM, jimreagans@... [omniasdr] <omniasdr@...> wrote:

[...]

I have a backup program, and I've backed up what I have..
I see you dropped a file which I'll download now. THANKS!
Cheers,
JR (W0CHL)

Jim Bennett

It was just an update to my PDF, not the SD card! :-)

On   Wednesday, Mar 23, 2016, at  Wednesday, 10:55 AM, jimreagans@... [omniasdr] <omniasdr@...> wrote:

I have a backup program, and I've backed up what I have..
I see you dropped a file which I'll download now. THANKS!
Cheers,
JR (W0CHL)

On   Wednesday, Mar 23, 2016, at  Wednesday, 10:55 AM, jimreagans@... [omniasdr] <omniasdr@...> wrote:

I have a backup program, and I've backed up what I have..
I see you dropped a file which I'll download now. THANKS!
Cheers,
JR (W0CHL)

Jim Reagan <jimreagans@...>

I'd love the SD card!! How big is it?
Cheers,
Jim

On Wed, Mar 23, 2016 at 10:57 AM, James Bennett w6jhb@... [omniasdr] <omniasdr@...> wrote:

It was just an update to my PDF, not the SD card! :-)

On   Wednesday, Mar 23, 2016, at  Wednesday, 10:55 AM, jimreagans@... [omniasdr] <omniasdr@...> wrote:

I have a backup program, and I've backed up what I have..
I see you dropped a file which I'll download now. THANKS!
Cheers,
JR (W0CHL)

Jim Bennett

It is a 32GB card. I’ll have to make a zip out of it and see how big it is zipped.

Jim / W6JHB

On   Wednesday, Mar 23, 2016, at  Wednesday, 11:08 AM, Jim Reagan jimreagans@... [omniasdr] <omniasdr@...> wrote:

[...]

OK, between work issues & projects, I took a fresh uSD card and started all over.
1. Loaded the latest RPi "Jessie".
2. Did the updates and dist-upgrade
3. I went down the list, installing the 7 installs
4. Loaded quisk
5. I  made the "local.rules"
6. copied USB files to specified spot
  I now get the "same identical" screen errors as I did yesterday!  At least I'm consistent!
  Any ideas?
JR (W0CHL)

Ron / W4MMP

Hi,

Check the USB connection with this:
lsusb
You are looking for this:
Bus 001 Device 014: ID 16c0:05dc Van Ooijen Technische Informatica shared ID for use with libusb
73
Ron / W4MMP
On 3/23/2016 17:44, jimreagans@... [omniasdr] wrote:

OK, between work issues & projects, I took a fresh uSD card and started all over.
1. Loaded the latest RPi "Jessie".
2. Did the updates and dist-upgrade
3. I went down the list, installing the 7 installs
4. Loaded quisk
5. I  made the "local.rules"
6. copied USB files to specified spot
  I now get the "same identical" screen errors as I did yesterday!  At least I'm consistent!
  Any ideas?
JR (W0CHL)

jimreagans@...

Yep, that's there exactly....
I can say I'm getting better with Linux protocol
Cheers,
JR (W0CHL)

jimreagans@...

OK Jim & Ron, after re-reading the Quisk documents, I'm doing something wrong...
Where do I specify the Omniasdr (peaberry, I assume)?

I think I need to specify the audio and transceiver and I'm not seeing that...

Two steps forward and one back....
JR, de W0CHL

Ron / W4MMP

Hi
I took a break from my Omnia duties and installed Quisk.  Low and behold ,  I hit the same error (the libusb thing) when starting quisk.  So, I deleted the .quisk_conf.py file.  Quisk now starts.  That is proof enough for me there is an error in the config file.  However, the quisk folks have yet to fix a big issue with quisk when there is no configuration file.  Quisk drives one of cores to 100% busy so making config changes impossible via the *ConfigFileRadio* tab.  I will take a look at the .quisk_conf.py Jim is supplying.  I don't have a clue why it works on his machine and not ours.
Stay tuned.
73
Ron / W4MMP
On 3/23/2016 19:22, jimreagans@... [omniasdr] wrote:

OK Jim & Ron, after re-reading the Quisk documents, I'm doing something wrong...
Where do I specify the Omniasdr (peaberry, I assume)?

I think I need to specify the audio and transceiver and I'm not seeing that...

Two steps forward and one back....
JR, de W0CHL

jason kitchens

Jim's config worked fine for me.
I followed his setup pdf pretty much to a tee.
Let me get my setup booted and I'll see if I can somehow reproduce.

JR what distribution are you using? noobs, raspbian etc...

jimreagans@...

Raspian, Jessie, just like Jim's setup.
I'm using a RPi2 with nothing unusual..

Cheers,
JR W0CHL

Jim Bennett

Ron,

Not sure how much you've played with Quisk (probably more than me!) but in my short time with it I've found that if the sound card devices the config file point to are incorrect, Quisk often freezes up when starting. An annoying thing I've seen with Raspian is that the HW: numbers sometimes change from one boot-up to another. Now, after I boot the RPi, I run: cat /procs/asound/cards in a terminal window just to be sure that my startup config hw: numbers are correct. Maybe that's why my config isn't working for you.

Jim Bennett / W6JHB
Folsom, CA

On Mar 23, 2016, at 4:47 PM, Ron w4mmp@... [omniasdr] <omniasdr@...> wrote:

[...]

I was able to reproduce the libusb error by entering in quisk instead of ./quisk from the command line.
Make sure that you are in the folder where you installed quisk (if you followed the pdr in the files secion) and enter ./quisk .
The "./" tells linux that you want to run the command that is in the directory that you currently are in.

Now to figure out how I messed my install up. I have to sudo ./quisk to have quisk get permissions for the softrock USB interface......

Jim Bennett

JR, just to be sure - you did the "make" command and the setup .... install afterwards, right?

By the way, I made a zip file out of my SD card .img file and it only got squished down to 23GB, so that probably isn't going to fly on the Yahoo Group file section.

As a last resort, I could always put my image on an SD card and mail it to you if I can find a spare card somewhere. Only have three right now; my active card, a backup, and my Raspian Wheezy fall back disk.

Jim Bennett / W6JHB
Folsom, CA

On Mar 23, 2016, at 6:47 PM, jimreagans@... [omniasdr] <omniasdr@...> wrote:

Raspian, Jessie, just like Jim's setup.
I'm using a RPi2 with nothing unusual..

Cheers,
JR W0CHL

Jim Bennett

Jason - there is a paragraph in my PDF that deals with those USB permissions. That should take care of it for you.

Jim Bennett / W6JHB
Folsom, CA

On Mar 23, 2016, at 7:54 PM, jasonmkitchens@... [omniasdr] <omniasdr@...> wrote:

I was able to reproduce the libusb error by entering in quisk instead of ./quisk from the command line.

Make sure that you are in the folder where you installed quisk (if you followed the pdr in the files secion) and enter ./quisk .
The "./" tells linux that you want to run the command that is in the directory that you currently are in.

Now to figure out how I messed my install up. I have to sudo ./quisk to have quisk get permissions for the softrock USB interface......

Ron / W4MMP

Hi Jim,

I have not played with it much at all.  I looked at it about a year ago and had it working somewhat and then moved on.
73
Ron / W4MMP