Topics

Quisk question

jason kitchens

For those of you that have quisk working with the OSDR, did you install from the repositories or from source?
I'm trying to get quisk up and running on a Rpi 3 and having issues.

James Bennett <w6jhb@...>

I assume you mean the OmniaSDR (OSB) - if not, please ignore my reply. I installed Quisk on my RPi V2 right from the install link on the Quisk home page. No source compiling necessary here. It installed with no issues, and once configured, has been working great. I recently upgraded to a V3 RPi and have no issues there either. I use a config file along with the slight changes that can be done via the “radios” panels.

My OSB is the 60/40/30/20 meter version, done as a semi-DIY. I have it connected to an Elecraft T1 auto-tuner. Have used a ground mounted vertical and most recently an 88 foot long doublet up 45 feet. A very nice hardware / software combination…

Jim/W6JHB

On   Monday, Mar 21, 2016, at  Monday, 5:05 PM, jasonmkitchens@... [omniasdr] <omniasdr@...> wrote:

For those of you that have quisk working with the OSDR, did you install from the repositories or from source?

I'm trying to get quisk up and running on a Rpi 3 and having issues.

On   Monday, Mar 21, 2016, at  Monday, 5:05 PM, jasonmkitchens@... [omniasdr] <omniasdr@...> wrote:

For those of you that have quisk working with the OSDR, did you install from the repositories or from source?

I'm trying to get quisk up and running on a Rpi 3 and having issues.

jimreagans@...

So were you using Jessie?
Other programs you installed first?
I followed Ron's list with no success...
I appreciate the help...
Jim W0CHL

James Bennett <w6jhb@...>

Hi Jim -

Well, I’m far from being an expert on this stuff, especially Linux, but I’ll try to help.

My first install was on Wheezy and I had installed Quisk V 3.0.7. All changes and testing were done via the config file - pretty tedious and time consuming!

I subsequently build a Jessie install and decided to bite the bullet and go with the current version of Quisk, 4.0.4. Before I even downloaded it, I installed the stuff listed on the Installation page. Here is a cut/paste of that info:

  • python2.7, the Python programming language. See http://www.python.org. This almost certainly is already installed on your Linux. Use the version you have, or get the most recent version.
  • python-wxgtk2.8, the wxPython package used for the GUI. Get the most recent version available for your Python version.
  • fftw3, the Fastest Fourier Transform in the West. See fftw.org. This is a great FFT package and is also used by GNU radio.
  • python2.7-dev, fftw3-dev, libasound2-dev, libpulse-dev, portaudio19-dev These are development packages that you need so you can change and recompile the Quisk C-language files. Get the version that corresponds to the software you have. If you get compiler errors, check for missing "-dev" packages.

After I made sure those packages were installed, I downloaded the software from the link on the “Welcome to QUISK” page: http://james.ahlstrom.name/quisk/

Go to the link for quisk-4.0.4.tar.gz, download the file and extract it to your Pi directory (I assume you are using Pi as your user)

I assume you are using an OmniaSDR for your radio, right? If so, there isn’t much else to do, as it has the built-in sound card so you don’t have to fiddle with something external. I can put my config file up on this group files section if (1) you need to see it, and (2) if Ron has no objection with that.

Anyway, exactly what problems have you been having?

Jim / W6JHB

On   Tuesday, Mar 22, 2016, at  Tuesday, 11:01 AM, jimreagans@... [omniasdr] <omniasdr@...> wrote:

So were you using Jessie?
Other programs you installed first?
I followed Ron's list with no success...
I appreciate the help...
Jim W0CHL

On   Tuesday, Mar 22, 2016, at  Tuesday, 11:01 AM, jimreagans@... [omniasdr] <omniasdr@...> wrote:

So were you using Jessie?
Other programs you installed first?
I followed Ron's list with no success...
I appreciate the help...
Jim W0CHL

Ron / W4MMP

Jim,
Whats up with the build?  What are the errors?  If everything the list was installed there are no dependency issues.
73
Ron / W4MMP
On 3/22/2016 14:01, jimreagans@... [omniasdr] wrote:

So were you using Jessie?
Other programs you installed first?
I followed Ron's list with no success...
I appreciate the help...
Jim W0CHL

jimreagans@...

I guess my reply just went up in Yahoo ether...

  OK on the 3rd time I got I seemingly got everything of the 8 to load.  I then downloaded quisk and got that to come up.
  Once quisk is up, and I press the config button (lower right) it says "Config file not found /home/pi/.quisk_config.py" , Capture from sound card hw:0:", and "Cannot open capture device hw:0(no such file)".

  What's new?  Do I have to first setup the OmniaSDR on a windows machine?  How do I calibrate and such?

Confused,
JR (Call me that so we don't get confused with the other Jim)
W0CHL

James Bennett <w6jhb@...>

JR (Jim):

Sounds like you are on the right path. As I recall, I copied a default config file and named it .quisk_conf.py and then made some changes to it for my needs. This then become my “basic” configuration file. You can make “virtual” copies of it in the Radios tab of Quisk once it starts up. In fact, I have two right now - one for my basic CW operation and today I made a second one for my work trying to get WSJT-X and FLDIGI running on my RPi. I am using Quisk as the rig control to set frequency and PTT, piping the audio to and from those two applications. But for you getting started, you should have a basic configuration file.

I put mine up on the group files section. Look in the folder W6JHB: OSB on Raspberry Pi. Feel free to haul that quisk_conf.py into your home directory and modify it as you see fit. You may just want to leave it as is and make changes via the Radios tab in Quisk. Don’t forget to prefix it with a dot or it won’t be seen by Quisk at startup.

The trickiest part is going to be getting your sound capture and play devices set up for your machine. Those HW:xx numbers vary depending on what you have connected to your RPi. I found that you can identify things before starting up Quisk by bringing up Terminal and issuing the command

cat /proc/asound/cards

BTW - I did test out my OmniaSDR on a Windows machine, only because if I ran into trouble with it, the support folks kinda want you to be running HDSDR so everyone is talking the same lingo. I run a Mac here but have VMWare Fusion on it and can run virtual Windows and Linux guests under it, so getting HDSDR wasn’t a big deal. But, if you have Windows, you might want to install HDSDR and be sure your OmniaSDR is working properly.

Let me know how it goes….

The other Jim

On   Tuesday, Mar 22, 2016, at  Tuesday, 2:41 PM, jimreagans@... [omniasdr] <omniasdr@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the how to pdf and the config file.
I had a couple of problems I think.
I was missing some of the dependancies your list in the pdf helped with that.
I think I must have forgotten the . in the config file when I created it.
After reading through your how to pdf I have it at least working on receive. I have yet to try tx'ing.

Thanks again!

James Bennett <w6jhb@...>

Glad to help out - makes me feel good to have been a benefit to someone else after all the help I’ve asked for in the past couple months with not only the hardware testing, but the software hell that came later!

I can’t begin to count how many hours I’ve spent the past week or so trying to get WSJT-X working on my RPi. Today I had success. Can’t transmit (yet) but the receive and decoding works great.

Wondering how you are planning on using Quisk with your OmniaSDR - CW, SSB, digital, or all of the above?

Jim / W6JHB

On   Tuesday, Mar 22, 2016, at  Tuesday, 7:28 PM, jasonmkitchens@... [omniasdr] <omniasdr@...> wrote:

[...]

More than likely digital modes.
I'd like to have this setup as a small portable station with a 7 or 11 inch lcd.
Hooked to either a wa2euj amp or the hobbypcb 10w driver.

I'm using the Rpi3 and it seems to have a little bit of lag when listening to jt-65 frequencies. SSB seems fine tho.
Not sure what would make the difference. I only have quisk, firefox, and the pdf open. Might try to close the non essential and see how it does but the fact that ssb is fine but jt65 stutters is curious. Might just be audio.
I need to install wsjt and see how it does.
What have your results been decoding so far?

James Bennett <w6jhb@...>

Today I was successful in getting WSJT-X 1.7.0 (development release) installed and running. It decodes JT65, JT9, and WSPR extremely well. I'm seeing decodes into the high -20's. Don't seem to see any lag, but then again, I don't normally listen to the JT modes, either. I also got FLDIGI running so I will be able to run PSK31 one of these days, too. Per the documentation on the Quisk web pages, I use Quisk for my digital mode rig control via XML-RPC and it works really slick. There is some minor lag when listening to CW, but one gets used to it. I tried out Ubuntu Linux and found some severe lag there. Was pleasantly surprised at the tiny bit on the RPi.

One problem I ran into is that I can't yet transmit on SSB, JTxx, or FLDIGI in Quisk. It's probably a simple configuration thing, and I'm about to post a question on the Quisk Yahoo group to see if someone can offer a solution.

The 10w driver thing sounds interesting. I've had quite a few good CW contacts on 40, 30, and 20 meters with only one watt, but no question about it - if I could run 10 watts I'd do it in a heartbeat. Let me know what happens if you do go that route - I'd be interested in hearing how it works out for you. I sort of recall reading about that amp, but I thought they said that external band pass filtering would be required. If that's the case it's a show stopper for me. I like the fact that the OmniaSDR needs no external filtering, unlike the SoftRock RXTX.

73 for now, Jim

Jim Bennett / W6JHB
Folsom, CA

On Mar 22, 2016, at 8:01 PM, jasonmkitchens@... [omniasdr] <omniasdr@...> wrote:

More than likely digital modes.

I'd like to have this setup as a small portable station with a 7 or 11 inch lcd.
Hooked to either a wa2euj amp or the hobbypcb 10w driver.

I'm using the Rpi3 and it seems to have a little bit of lag when listening to jt-65 frequencies. SSB seems fine tho.
Not sure what would make the difference. I only have quisk, firefox, and the pdf open. Might try to close the non essential and see how it does but the fact that ssb is fine but jt65 stutters is curious. Might just be audio.
I need to install wsjt and see how it does.
What have your results been decoding so far?

Christian Ohlendorf

I have Quisk running on an Raspberry Pi 3 just fine with the regular modes. The problem that I am running into is that once I switch it to the DGT-U mode - which utilizes the snd-aloop Alsa sound loopback device for communication to/from Fldigi -  it bogs down the CPU and the decoded sound becomes very choppy - to a point where Fldigi cannot decode the signals. Has anybody else run into this and better yet identified a workaround?

73s, Christian

KK6FRI

Jens / DH1AKY

Hi Christian,

I have the same problem too using a Raspi2. So I think about trying to use another loopback device than alsa.

73, Jens / DH1AKY

Jens / DH1AKY

I'v got quisk running on the Raspberry Pi 2 using this receipe: http://www.k0pir.us/raspberry-pi-wsjt-x/

73, Jens / DH1AKY